Friday, January 9, 2009

Skipper Strauss vows to keep Pietersen onside


Andrew Strauss was adamant he would have no problems working with ousted predecessor Kevin Pietersen after being confirmed as England's new Test captain.

Strauss found himself thrust into the leadership when English cricket chiefs finally decided the "irretrievable breakdown" between Pietersen and team coach meant both men had to lose their posts - even though this was just weeks before the start of the West Indies tour.

"I know him well, he is a good mate of mine, he has said he will support me, I truly believe he will do. Clearly, it is a tough situation for him and I'm sure he has his own side of the story. I don't think he should be villified.

"I believe very strongly he did what he felt was in the best interests of the England team as captain and I have no problems with him as a player. It is fantastic we have such a world-class player in our side.

"South Africa-born Pietersen's five-month reign, which only encompassed three Tests, ended in dramatic fashion after his fall out with Moores became public - and he effectively presented his employers with a 'him or me' scenario.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pietersen is like a child not getting his way and know thinks he has the right to throw his toys around. Remember Kevin, nobody is bigger than cricket, not even you.